Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Travels in Germany: Impressions

Before I get started with the next batch of pictures, I thought I would write about my assorted  impressions of Germany so far.
1. I love the way fields and forests are integrated, it is beautiful!
2. It is amazing being in a country where castles are all over the place and no one thinks much about it unless they are a tourist exhibit. Our only California castle was built by a nut-case, but these places are for real!
3. People here smoke a lot.
4. I have found that I like sausages after all!
5. In older homes, the toilet is in a separate room from the bath. There are also some interesting toilet designs.
6. The breads are amazing and delicious!
7. Mustard and mayonnaise come in tubes, like toothpaste. I think that's cool.
8. They have many kind of delicious mustard here.
9. Schwartzwald Torte is nothing like the 'Black Forest cake' one buys in an American supermarket, thank heaven!
10. Three years of high school German, 40 years (and two other languages) later, is not much help. Ganau!

No comments: