Friday, July 04, 2008

Exploring Bavaria: The Old Church

Andreas' parents offered to watch the kids and the four of us set off to see the sights! We traveled through beautiful country, headed for the Neuschwanstein Castle, an old church and a cheese factory.
Here is the old church. I know it had a name but I can't remember what it was. People come here from all over Germany on pilgrimages.
This inside was lovely! I really liked this one much better than the ones we saw in Rome. I think what I liked was all light and white backgrounds that made the place look glorious and cheerful.
There was not a service going on. It was a lecture to a bunch of tourists, and an appeal by the church organist for funds to renovate the old pipe organ. After his talk, he went up to the loft and played a rousing organ concert!
The frescos on the ceilings were amazing, so bright and celestial looking!
The side with the door was my favorite part. This picture also shows the organ. Dad took these pictures.
And here we have a better shot of the organ up in the loft at the back of the church.
The cheese factory we went to see was only running in the mornings, so we just bought cheese in the shop and kept going. It was neat to see the giant wheels of cheese, some aged for a long time. They sold limburger cheese, and I admit to finding the overall smell a bit daunting.

No comments: