Saturday, November 10, 2007

Medical (and other) Update

Well, today we went to see the doctor originally recommnded by our Dr. in CDO as well as by Dra. Elena. The first doctor planned to cut into the area above Dad's teeth and make a small 'window' in the boney area below his cheek to remove the bone fragments in his sinus area. The window would remain, he would be in the hospital for three days. The doctors we were seeing are very highly qualified but they mostly do cosmetic work. The oral surgeon does implants and the ENT does nose jobs most of the time. This second oral surgeon, Dr. Pangan, does oral surgery of all sorts as his specialty. He did his further training in Germany. We didn't tell him what anyone else had said. He was very nice and looked carefully at all the scans and xrays etc. He said he would used an endoscope, go in through the area where the teeth had been removed, check out and clean up the bone and remove the fragments. He, as the others had said, said Dad needed to have the drainage of his sinus opened up, so he would have an ENT there to do that. Dad would only need to be in the hospital overnight, and it looks like it will be cheaper as well. This plan tracks with what we have felt needed to be done. This surgeon said he would not make a 'window' in the bone above the teeth because it was not needed and because it could cause nerve damage. He also seemed to think that this could be done before the 17th, maybe the 14th, which would also mean going home sooner! I am all for that! We will need to remain in Manila for a week following the surgery. Dad is over talking to the first doctor now. He is a very nice guy and encouraged us to talk to Dr. Pangan too, so we think he will be okay with our decision. We both feel much better about this approach.

We saw the doctor over in Green Hills and went to the mall for lunch afterwards. I couldn't help think of all the memories some of you kids have of Green Hills Mall.

Today I taught a Bible study for the Indian ladies in Leah's Bibles study. I think it went well, and it was nice to visit with those ladies. It was held in one of the ladies' store/restarant. I bought some chai and fenugreek. They have a lot of hookas for sale of many sorts, along with tabaccos of all flavors (even watermelon and beer flavor!) and I wondererd how much business they did in hookas and accessories.

Dad met with a lady today who had an agreement with Tom to buy his herbal teas but has not come through. This has caused him a lot of grief, and I am understating that. It went well, he thinks. Please pray that this will come to a fair and equitable end. I believe the the Lord has us here in Manila for more than just this medical thing!

I will post again with further updates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This new surgery sounds a lot less invasive. It sounds better to me. Where will you stay after the surgery?

ShackelMom said...

It looks like we can come back here to the condo. The owner plans to arrive the 29th, so we could move to a guest house if needed. So that looks good!