Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Back at the Condo

Well, we were able to get the scan, go to the bank and get money and see a couple doctors on Monday. We ate dinner at home and then went to the hospital to be admitted at about 8 PM. The hospital was nice! It has been newly renovated and updated, the goal being to be the third hospital in the Philippines to pass the American hospital accreditation process. The only quirky things were that the water never got very hot, and that venting for the air conditioning was arranged is such a way that the smells of coffee, popcorn or whatever the nurses were eating on break came wafting into our room. No one was cooking dried fish, so we were okay. Dad was not to eat anything after midnight, and they would put in the IV at 6 AM.

I woke up about 6:30 am after a short night on the 'bench.' Dad was hooked up to the IV and he had shaved off his moustache!!! Hmmm, a different look! I'll take pictures! They wheeled him away at about 8:30. I talked to the doctor after the surgery, about 11. Dad was still in recovery. The doctor said it had gone very well and showed me the three pieces they had gotten out, two pieces of tooth, one clearly part of a root canal, and one piece of dead bone. Dad got back to the room about an hour and a half later, looking surprisingly good, but feeling really awful because he had not had any tea for about 20 hours and had a splitting headache. I asked if he could please have tea, or caffein in his IV, but they said he had to wait until 5 PM. They relented later and he had some at 4, and felt better right away... Nasty stuff, caffein.

Staying in hospitals is never fun. The blood sugar control was difficult and he finally asked to be freed of the IV and given the freedom to manage his own blood sugar, and after that, by going up and down the stairs (that was this morning) was able to get a handle on it. The doctor for his diabetes was pretty stuffy and not a lot of help. I think she should have been interested, since I am sure she had never seen any one who had been a diabetic for 45 years, let alone one so healthy, but she wasn't.

I ate the meals brought to the room, and we rested as much as we could. Leah and Zinnia came and picked us up and took us 'home,' with a stop on the way to buy some liquid drink powder, meal replacement for diabetics. Poor Dad, he's not supposed to eat solid food for five more days. Tomorrow he goes to have the packing removed in the afternoon. The doctor said that is the worst part, but only hurts for 3 seconds. We need to see both doctors again before we can leave Manila, in about 5-6 days. And I have this frozen meat I guess I have eat all by myself before then!

4 comments:

Daniel Shackelford said...

Glad to hear they were able to get all the fragments out and that Dad is doing well (despite the caffeine withdrawal).

Anonymous said...

Yes we're so glad the surgery went well. We will pray he will heal well with no infection. Maybe he can go back on caffein moderatly,and not reach the same level of need. Love,Mom

Heidi said...

I'm so glad to hear that Uncle Ed's surgery has been successful. Thanks for posting Ken Nair's e-mail to you about the intercessor in his office, and her revelation about the bone fragment. God is so good; He cares about these intimate details in each of our lives. I love seeing God work like that.

Gretchen said...

God is good. So glad to hear that the surgery went well and Uncle Ed is doing so well. We love you guys!