I have a home where I was born and raised. My parents are there and my sisters. Spread around the country are our sons and daughters, wonderful people with wonderful mates and adorable, very bright children— of course! There are no other people on the planet I would like more to spend time with than my own children. I would love to get to know my grandchildren and have them know me. I know we are loved. Driving is so easy in America, and the food is great! I can buy corn tortillas! Orange juice! Church is in English, the sermons are spiritually stimulating and I can sing hymns if I go to the right service. There are public libraries, sidewalks and quiet streets. The weather is nice, I don’t sweat. I blend in and can be completely anonymous anywhere I go. No one stares at me. I understand the jokes and don’t worry about making cultural blunders. But we are there for a year or less, and I feel like a bird on a wire. I no longer have a house there, and my stuff, such as it is, stays in storage between visits. We can’t get too comfortable. While I have been gone, people have been leading lives very different from mine. I can’t relate to the things people complain about, other than the price of gasoline. To me, everything is pretty much just fine. Where I live, people would love to have it so good. Our shared everyday experiences are few. Coversations about vacations, cruises, camping, RVs, hospitals, pensions plans, HMOs, investments of various sorts, local politics, sports, reality TV, American Idol, what people whom I don’t know are doing now and which malls are the best, are lost on me. I can nod and smile. I look like a local but I don’t quite fit in.
I have a home I’ve never been to. It is the home that all other homes are just a wonderful taste of. That’s where my heart is. My treasures are there.The perfect house is being prepared for me. When I get there I will be truly home. Everything will be the way it should be. There will be no more partings, no more good-byes. I will have all the important things in common with everyone else, and we will have converstaions of great interest to all of us. Only one thing will be important. But until then, it is a little bit of heaven anytime I can have fellowship with others who have tasted the goodness and grace of God, who share the joys and the struggles of being strangers and travellers on this earth. We are looking for a city not built with hands. We have so much in common! We nod and smile!
I have a home I’ve never been to. It is the home that all other homes are just a wonderful taste of. That’s where my heart is. My treasures are there.The perfect house is being prepared for me. When I get there I will be truly home. Everything will be the way it should be. There will be no more partings, no more good-byes. I will have all the important things in common with everyone else, and we will have converstaions of great interest to all of us. Only one thing will be important. But until then, it is a little bit of heaven anytime I can have fellowship with others who have tasted the goodness and grace of God, who share the joys and the struggles of being strangers and travellers on this earth. We are looking for a city not built with hands. We have so much in common! We nod and smile!
---------------------------------------------------------------
This is a writing contest entry on the theme of "Going Home" from Scribbit.
10 comments:
Mindanao--I had to Google that one! How exotic!
I like it! :)
You win! I love it. So well put. Thanks for being willing to nod and smile a lot! It would be hard for me!
Love you...
Wow! Well done. You should submit it to your missionary magazine, Focus on the Family and any other Christian magazine! I mean it!! Are you ready to write your second book yet?? It could be short essays about being a midwife, missionary, grandma, etc.
Gru
Could you please email me at Scribbit at gmail.com? I've lost your email I'm afraid.
Lovely piece, so descriptive. It made me a little sad and yet you ended it so very well on the high note of a home yet being prepared.
I agree with a comment someone else left, you should have this piece published.
I felt a little deja vu reading this! I could certainly relate, and I'm betting you could relate to the Going Home post I submited . . .
http://moziesme.blogspot.com/2008/04/clean-underwear-cheerios-and-gloryland.html
LOOOOOVVEE this post...my fav so far....I am assuming you guys are on a mission....You truly find your home when you lose it, don't you?
Thank you for sharing your homes with me. I so enjoyed reading this piece. Deservedly honourably mentioned!
Home is so much more than a house, and your sentiments show that so well.
Post a Comment