Monday, March 06, 2006

Not so hip afterall...

I should never have even answered that TV question! How often do I watch TV? Almost never! After it got so much attention I decided I'd better look Will and Grace up on Goggle and see if it was the program I thought it was... nope. I don't think I have even seen one episode of Will and Grace. Oh well. Alright, what did I think I was refering to? Dad says it is Dharma and Greg. Oh yeah! I like Dharma and Greg! I've seen about four of those episodes and think they are funny! I like culture clash comedy.

Ariana asked what we did in South Dakota, and Grandpa kindly supplied the background! In 1960 I was 10 years old, but I thought it was the next year, when I was 11. What I remember of that vacation was a lot of driving in that black, '52 Merc sedan. Gretchen slept up in the back window and Robin and I took turns sleeping on the bench seat, or on the floor which was made level with pillows. No worries about seatbelts back then! I remember staying at a real farm (Dell Cornwell's) and playing in a bin of corn. I remember that someone gave us a credit card for the trip, so we didn't have to pay for gasoline. In Murdo I remember sleeping (and scooting) in sleeping bags on the hardwood floors of Mrs. Esmee's house, and listening to a thunderstorm like I'd never heard in my life! Sounded some someone throwing metal garbage cans down a metal stairwell. Adding to this drama was knowing that the lady in whose home we were staying was a widow because her husband was struck by lightning one day when he went out to check on the cows. I remember that the church my dad spoke in during that week was in a storefront, or an auto garage, or next to one. I remember being unimpressed with the "Corn Palace."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's funny, Mom! I think Dharma and Greg is a fun show as well. I get a big kick out of her hippy parents.

Luke said...

i think you're pretty 'hip' mom. even if it did used to bother me when you'd use the word 'cool'. (c: I think I'm passed that. heh.

was just remarking to gma and gpa that I don't really think of them as very old. They are certainly not young young*, but I really don't think of them as old, as.. well they actually are. They've so much that's happened in their past years. I can scarce believe it.

*a repetition of this sort is spoken as YOUNG young, the first having the stress, the implications of such are that they are not 'super young' or young as the original meaning of the word implies, but rather that they are simply not as young as the word young means. this is a form of slang that is not uncommon for my generation/group. Repetition takes the place of 'very' and 'super' and the stress is on the first word such as "CRAZY crazy". This would mean, not just crazy, but reaaally crazy.

I tried to explain this to grandma a while back. I think she got it, and thought it was humorous.