We had a really good time in Iligan with the Peacemakers training! 85 people attended, all the Christar missionaries and most of their national coworkers. The first three days were about personal peacemaking and understanding culture. This part ended with a role play mediation. Several mediations between people who attended the training took place during the next few days. Comments on these mediations ranged from 'Amazing!' to "A real miracle!"
The second training was in Mediation, and there were 16 of us who attended. We learned more about how to use scripture to help people understand their heart issues, and how to ask good questions that encourage a good conversation between parties. We spent the last day doing role play mediations. We were divided into groups of four. In the morning, my partner, Tom OBrien and I were 'parties' and our other team members were co-mediators. I was a grumpy old Brit with an invlid wife living in a placce lke Nasuli. Tom was a young translator just moved in from the jungles with his wild, noisy, jungle children whom I constantly yell at. Very interesting! In the afternoon we did a different role play, and our team mates were the 'parties' and we mediated. It is amazing how one gets into this sort of thing! All the conflicts were missionary situations, and they were quite complicated. I think most of us ended up shedding tears of emotion at least once! It was a stretching experience and we really learned a LOT!
The two men who came did an amazing job and had amazing wisdom! Bob Barret, the senior member of the pair, stayed until yesterday. This gave him time to rest, do some work and debrief us on how to continue with a culture of peace on our field.
Since we have been back from Iligan I have spent two whole days helping my friend Elena decorate her newly remodeled townhouse. I hope to have some pictures to post soon.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment