We have a one year old in the house, Pastor Julie and Bebeng's little boy, Jomart. I have long been fascinated with how Filipinos (who can't afford a yaya) carry their babies around all the time, rock them to sleep and don't put them down until they are sleeping. They hold them and feed them until they are quite big, but they are 'potty trained' very early. Now I understand. It is because they don't have all the equipment we have. They can't lay their babies down before they are sound asleep because they would climb off the bed or cushion or sofa. They hold and feed them because they have no high chairs to contain them. They are held by someone all the time because they don't have strollers, play-pens, walkers, jumpers or anything else to keep them off the dirty floors or out of trouble. Their kids are often 'potty trained' at a year because, since the mothers are holding them, and because they are not wearing diapers (usually a thin panty), it is immediately obvious when something is happening and they can be rushed outside to 'ihi' or they make that little face or noise, and they are taken straight to the right place for that function. One of the first things they learn to say are, 'didi' (breast), 'ihi' and '-bang.'
I got a used high chair for Jomart to use, and it has changed the meal dynamics. He can now sit in his chair and feed himself, and with the sippy cup I got him, he can drink when he wants to and throw it overboard like little rich kids everywhere. And Jomart is wearing disposable diapers because Lola doesn't want little puddles here and there... So, will Jomart become a more independent child, with a larger personal bubble because he eats in his own chair at an early age? Will Bebeng have more trouble potty training him at a later age than she did her oldest child? Will Lola act on her impulse to find an inexpensive playpen so Bebeng can have her arms free once in a while?
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i wonder how much this high-chair and diapering will effect his future psyche. (c: will he be a different kind of filipino because he didn't have the same methods as is classic?
This is very interesting! Attachment parenting/ baby wearing on accident. Some parents here work really hard to do things the Filipino way, and it is a huge discipline NOT to just put the baby down all day. I guess it's nice to have the option-- I'll be Jomart's mom is really thankful for the freedom to attend to other things once in a a while. I'll bet the diapering is the biggest relief for you!
This is cool. (c: I just wondered here today and it's fun to see your blog. I recommend people in strange lands blogging, even if they do it mainly for their kids's sakes.
Post a Comment