Friday, February 11, 2005

Poor mangy dog...

Our neighbors moved out and left two orphan puppies. For days they just hung around outside their gate. They were mostly hairless and extremely thin. Then there was one. Caryl said there was a bad smell on one side of the yard, and it turned out to be the missing puppy on the other side of the wall. The remaining pup could be seen wobbling or laying down. The girls said it slept next to its dead brother at night. Marylan began buying pieces of bread for it and taking their leftovers outside for him to eat. I was going back and forth in my mind... If it is covered in mange, what will happen to our big dogs? What about parasites? We don't need another dog!! But one of the ways we are like God is our compassion and pity for the pitiful, and our desire to heal and save. I told the girls to bring him inside. They had named him 'Precious' becasue he looks like Gulom, in The Lord of the Rings, and he does. Dogs don't get much uglier! But in three days of giving him small and frequent meals, he is beginning to grow some fur and is very friendly. We have bathed him twice with anti-mange soap and annointed him with coconut oil several times. I can't imagine that he will ever be a good looking dog, but who knows? Time will tell whether we will keep him, or let Marylan or Caryl take him home to Gingoog to live with their families. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Poor dog.

Peter and I went shopping today in the middle eastern quarter of anaheim. Got some concentrated pomegranate juice, some yerba mate, and a carton of yogurt from kifer.. good stuff. I need to get a bomba stick for the yerba though as the tea is too fine and is awkward to drink.